Apple Pie is a super indulgent dessert, that has pastry sheets both above and below the filling, which is overloaded with green apples and a hint of cinnamon. Green apples work best for this recipe because of the slightly sour and tangy taste it has. I have made a lattice design for the top pastry sheet, you can either make a plain sheet for the top or cut in any design patterns you like. A slice of apple pie with a big scoop of Ice cream is my favourite combination 🙂
I have used a food processor to make the pie crust, alternatively, you can use a fork to combine the cold butter into the dough. Just be sure to not use your hands and not knead the dough as you can melt the cold butter. The cold butter crumbs are what gives the pastry its flaky, buttery texture and taste.
Buttery and flaky pie with sweet apple filling
- For Pie Crust Butter(cold, diced): 100 gm
- For Apple filling Green apples: 3
Flour: 156 gm
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Coldwater: 2 tbsp
Powdered sugar: 4 tbsp
Cinnamon powder: 1 tbsp
- Step 1 For the pie crust, mix the sugar, salt and flour in a food processor.
- Step 2 Add in the diced, cold butter and pulse for a few seconds, until the flour and butter form a sand-like crumbly texture.
- Step 3 Next, add in the ice-cold water one tablespoon at a time. We are looking to form a crumbly dough that just holds together, So do not knead the dough, just gather the crumbs together to form a ball and shape it into a disc ( I made 2 small discs, one for the base and one for the top)
- Step 4 Wrap the discs with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Step 5 For the filling, peel and thinly slice 3 green apples.
- Step 6 To this add the powdered sugar, cinnamon powder and flour and mix well.
- Step 7 Your filling is ready !!
- Step 8 After 1 hour take out one disc of pie crust and let it rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before you start rolling it out.
- Step 9 Roll the pie crust for the base and carefully place it into the pie pan. Add in the prepared apple filling.
- Step 10 Roll out the second disc of pie crust and cut out thin strips to make a lattice design on top of the pie. (or you can just top the pie with a plain pie crust)
- Step 11 Optional: Brush the top of the pie with some egg for an enhanced golden colour and glossy finish to the pastry when it comes out of the oven.
- Step 12 Bake at 180 degree celsius for one hour.
- Step 13 When the apple pie is still warm, serve a slice with some ice cream or whipped cream.