Galette is a French pastry and is another name for a rustic tart or pie that has a flaky, buttery crust topped with fresh fruits. You can add any kind of fruits like apples, peaches, apricots, figs or cherries to make a galette. The fruits and edges of the galette doesn’t have to be perfectly shaped or designed. You can just top the fruits on a rolled out base and fold in the edges randomly to make the galette. This is after all a rustic version of the classic pie/tart and is supposed to be simple.
To give the galette an extra touch of deliciousness, I have made a quick almond cream and added it on top of the base. It is totally optional and feel free to leave it out if you don’t have enough time.. But, the almond cream adds a rich and nutty taste to the galette.
If you do not fancy baking fresh fruits you can leave out the fruits and just have a plain almond cream galette and this too tastes divine!! For this you will need to cover the top of the galette as well with the dough, it will not be an open galette as with the fresh fruits.
Plum Galette with Almond Cream
Easy Plum Galette with Almond cream
- For Galette crust Butter(cold, diced): 100 gm
- For Almond cream Almond: 1/2 cup
- For Fruit filling Plum: 4
Flour: 156 gm
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Cold water: 2 tbsp
Sugar: 1/3 cup
Butter: 40 gm
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp
Flour: 2 tbsp
Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Step 1 For the galette crust, mix the sugar, salt and flour in a food processor.
- Step 2 Add in the diced, cold butter and pulse for a few seconds, until the flour and butter form a sand-like crumbly texture.
- Step 3 Next, add in the ice-cold water one tablespoon at a time. We are looking to form a crumbly dough that just holds together, So do not knead the dough, just gather the crumbs together to form a ball and shape it into a disc.
- Step 4 Wrap the discs with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Step 5 To make the almond cream, pulse together the almonds and sugar till it becomes a fine powder.
- Step 6 Add in the egg, butter, vanilla essence and flour and mix well to form a paste like consistency.
- Step 7 Almond cream is ready!!
- Step 8 For the fruit filling, cut the plums into thin slices. add the sugar and lime zest and mix to combine.
- Step 9 Roll out the dough into a big circle, and add the almond cream in the centre (leave an inch at the edges for folding)
- Step 10 Top the almond cream with the sliced fresh fruits.
- Step 11 Fold in the edges of the base onto the fruits.
- Step 12 Optional: Brush the top of the pie with egg for an enhanced golden colour and glossy finish to the pastry when it comes out of the oven.
- Step 13 Bake the Galette at 180 degree celsius for 30 minutes.
- Step 14 The Galette tastes best hot out of the oven. Enjoy!!