This is a basic rich and buttery croissant recipe. It will take a great amount of patience and can be a little tricky. But follow these steps here and with a little hard work and patience, you are sure to get nice and flaky butter croissants. The whole process consists of two main steps: making the dough and lamination. Lamination is the process of folding butter and dough together to form layers in our croissant. You will need to give a resting time of at least 2 hours (or more, up to 8 hours, longer the better) between each lamination fold. You can also add in a piece of cheese or chocolate to the basic dough before you roll it to get different kinds of croissants..
Buttery French Croissants
- For Dough Flour: 525 gm
- For Lamination Butter: 225 gm
Sugar: 5 tbsp
Yeast: 2 tsp
Warm Water: 250 ml
Milk: 125 ml
Salt: 1 tsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
- Step 1 In a bowl mix the warm water, sugar and yeast and keep aside for a few minutes till the yeast blooms.
- Step 2 Next, add in the flour, salt and butter and mix well.
- Step 3 Add in the milk little at a time until you get a soft dough.
- Step 4 Let the dough rest at room temperature for 90 minutes. Then flatten the dough into a rectangle, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hr ( Store for longer, maximum 8 hours, for better results)
- Step 5 Now that the is dough is ready the next step is lamination. For this, we need to make a rectangular block of butter.
- Step 6 Mix softened butter and ghee together and put it into a small rectangular container lined with butter paper. Chill this in the refrigerator to get a rectangular block of butter.
- Step 7 Now our dough and Butter is ready. After the dough has rested for 2 hours, we can start with the lamination process.
- Step 8 On a floured surface roll the dough a little. Put the block of butter in the centre of the dough and fold the dough onto the butter like an envelope/kite.
- Step 9 Roll this carefully into a rectangle shape.
- Step 10 Next, give a 3 fold ( letter fold) and roll it a little.
- Step 11 Cover the dough and leave it to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Step 12 After 2 hours roll out the dough repeat the letter fold on the dough again and chill for another 2 hours.
- Step 13 Repeat the above step.
- Step 14 For the final roll and cutting, roll Half of the dough into a 30 cm x 40 cm rectangle and cut out triangular shapes for rolling.
- Step 15 Put a small cut at the base of the triangle and roll from the base to the tip of the triangle to get the classic croissant shape.
- Step 16 Place the croissants on the baking tray and let it rest for another 2 hours. The croissants will rise again during this time.
- Step 17 Finally, Bake at 190 degree celsius for 15 – 18 minutes. (optional: give an egg wash before baking for a glossy finish)
- Step 18 You have utterly buttery and flaky French croissants ready to eat!!