This chocolate swiss roll may look complex but it is a very easy-to-make recipe. It has a rich chocolate flavour and the whipped cream filling makes it even more creamy and delicious. You can top this swill roll with some chocolate ganache to make it even more decadent. I will post the Vanilla cake version of this recipe soon 🙂 . The measurements used here are to fit in my small cake tray, you can just double the quantity if you have got a bigger cake tray.
Chocolate Swiss Roll
May 24, 2020
: 40 min
: 10 min
: 1 hr
Soft Swiss roll with rich chocolaty flavour
- For Cake Egg: 2
- For Filling Whipping cream: 150 ml
Sugar: 50 gm
Vanilla: 1 tsp
Milk: 20 ml
Oil: 20 ml
Flour: 45 gm
Baking powder: 2 gm
Cocoa powder: 15 gm
Coffee powder: 1/4 tsp
Salt: a pinch
Sugar: 48 gm
Cocoa powder: 3 tbsp
- Step 1 Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Step 2 Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl till stiff peaks form and keep aside.
- Step 3 In another bowl mix the egg yolks and sugar till they become pale and fluffy.
- Step 4 Add in the vanilla essence, milk and oil and mix well.
- Step 5 Sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cocoa, coffee and salt into the egg yolk mixture and mix until it is well combined.
- Step 6 Add this mixture to the egg whites and fold it in well.
- Step 7 Line a rectangular tray with butter paper and pour in the cake batter to cover the entire surface ( we are making a thin layer of cake, that is easy to roll up)
- Step 8 Bake at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes.
- Step 9 While the cake bakes, take another baking paper ( a little bigger than the cake tray you are using) and dust it with cocoa powder and keep ready.
- Step 10 Once the cake comes out of the oven, flip it immediately onto the baking paper dusted with cocoa powder.
- Step 11 Roll the cake along with the baking paper while it is still hot and keep it aside till it cools down.
- Step 12 For the filling, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. (Use chilled bowls and whisks to whip the cream for better results)
- Step 13 Add in the sugar a teaspoon at a time.
- Step 14 Next, add in the sifted cocoa powder and mix well.
- Step 15 Filling is ready!!
- Step 16 Once the cake has cooled down, unroll the cake, spread the whipped cream onto the inside layer of the cake and roll it back.
- Step 17 Let this chill in the refrigerator for 1 hr to set. Then slice it up and serve. You will have beautiful swirls of chocolate cake and cream ready to dig into!!