Creme Patissiere is thick and decadent custard used to fill or top pastries. This is also known as Vanilla pastry cream. You can add in 2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder to turn this into a chocolate pastry cream. I am a big fan of custard flavor and this one of my go to recipes for toppings as well as fillings in tarts, cream puffs and fruit salads.
May 23, 2020
: 10 min
: 10 min
: 20 min
Thick and delicious custard creme
Milk: 2 cups
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Cornflour: 1/4 cup
Salt: a pinch
Egg yolks: 4
Vanilla essence: 2 tsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
- Step 1 In a bowl mix the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch using a whisk and keep aside.
- Step 2 In a pan bring the milk to a boil.
- Step 3 Add the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture while whisking continuously.
- Step 4 Pour this back into the pan and heat on low flame, whisking it continuously, till it reaches a pudding like consistency.
- Step 5 Pass the creme through a seive into another bowl.
- Step 6 Add in the butter and vanilla extract and whisk quickly to combine.
- Step 7 Cover the creme with a plastic wrap. (directly touching the surface of the creme)
- Step 8 Once it cools down to room temperature, chill it for 2 hours before using for any fillings or toppings.