Creme Patissiere is thick and decadent custard used to fill or top pastries. This is also known as Vanilla pastry cream. You can add in 2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder to turn this into a chocolate pastry cream. I am a big fan of custard flavor and this one of my go to recipes for toppings as well as fillings in tarts, cream puffs and fruit salads.
Thick and delicious custard creme
Milk: 2 cups
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Cornflour: 1/4 cup
Salt: a pinch
Egg yolks: 4
Vanilla essence: 2 tsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
- Step 1 In a bowl mix the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch using a whisk and keep aside.
- Step 2 In a pan bring the milk to a boil.
- Step 3 Add the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture while whisking continuously.
- Step 4 Pour this back into the pan and heat on low flame, whisking it continuously, till it reaches a pudding like consistency.
- Step 5 Pass the creme through a seive into another bowl.
- Step 6 Add in the butter and vanilla extract and whisk quickly to combine.
- Step 7 Cover the creme with a plastic wrap. (directly touching the surface of the creme)
- Step 8 Once it cools down to room temperature, chill it for 2 hours before using for any fillings or toppings.